Re: automake/autoconf issues on a sun

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: automake/autoconf issues on a sun
Date: 05 Sep 2003 23:03:26 -0700

"L. D. Marks" <address@hidden> writes:

> 1) One of the systems has both X11R5 and X11R6 and it
> looks like AC_PATH_XTRA may be getting confused about
> which one to use. Does it seach by decreasing or increasing
> release?

I think it uses the first release it finds.  The details are hairy tho.

> (We have had to use --x- to override.

Yes, that sounds right.

> 2) We have some link tests to check for appropriate versions
> of a couple of libraries (i.e. compiled with gcc or cc) which
> look like they don't work on a sun. Does sun test for the
> existence/viability of shared libraries during the link phase
> or only during execution? Are there any macro's for
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH? (I had configure and make run through with
> no apparent problems when I did not have permissions to execute
> one of the stdc++ libraries!)

On Solaris you can easily build stuff that won't run.  I suggest that
Solaris installers _not_ use LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/foo"; instead, they
should use LDFLAGS="-L /foo -R /foo".  However, this area is so messy
and Solaris-installation-dependent that I despair of Autoconf ever
automating it.

> 3) The location of includes and executables seems to be quite
> varied on the two sun's that I've looked at. Is there supposed
> to be a "standard" set of directories

Yes, but the "standard" changes from Solaris release to Solaris
release.  For example, Sun-supplied user-visible executables can be
found in the following locations on my Solaris 9 box.  Many of these
directories don't exist on Solaris 8.

/opt/SUNWppro/bin
/opt/SUNWrtvc/bin
/opt/sfw/bin
/opt/sfw/mysql/bin
/usr/SUNWale/bin
/usr/apache/bin
/usr/apache/tomcat/bin
/usr/bin
/usr/ccs/bin
/usr/dt/appconfig/dtpower/bin
/usr/dt/appconfig/netscape/j2pi/bin
/usr/dt/appconfig/sdtpdasync/bin
/usr/dt/appconfig/sdtprodreg/bin
/usr/dt/bin
/usr/iplanet/admserv5.1/bin
/usr/iplanet/admserv5.1/bin/admin/admin/bin
/usr/iplanet/admserv5.1/bin/https/bin
/usr/iplanet/admserv5.1/bin/user/admin/bin
/usr/iplanet/console5.1/bin
/usr/iplanet/ds5/bin
/usr/iplanet/ds5/bin/slapd/admin/bin
/usr/iplanet/ds5/shared/bin
/usr/j2se/bin
/usr/j2se/jre/bin
/usr/j2se/opt/javahelp/bin
/usr/j2se/opt/javahelp/demos/bin
/usr/java1.2/bin
/usr/java1.2/jre/bin
/usr/lib/lp/bin
/usr/oasys/bin
/usr/openwin/bin
/usr/perl5/5.00503/bin
/usr/perl5/5.6.1/bin
/usr/proc/bin
/usr/sadm/admin/bin
/usr/sadm/bin
/usr/sadm/install/bin
/usr/sadm/lib/smc/bin
/usr/sadm/sysadm/bin
/usr/sfw/bin
/usr/snadm/bin
/usr/vmsys/bin
/usr/xpg4/bin

> do we have to leave it to the user to ensure that things are right?

I'd say so, to some extent.  You have to assume that the user has set
an appropriate PATH, for example.  People who are used to buiding
things on Solaris tend to know about this stuff.