Re: checking for non-standard headers

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: checking for non-standard headers
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:29:36 -0400

Quoting Larry Siden <address@hidden>:

> How can I get autoconf to automatically find header files that are not
> part of the standard include path, but for which *.pc files exist?

You don't need to do that; if the pkg-config metafile is on the system, the
assumption is that the package installation is intact. There's not much point
in trying to make broken installations work.

> I want to check for non-standard headers, such as, pango/pango.h,
> glib.h, and others.  AC_CHECK_HEADER seems to work only for standard
> headers, i.e. headers that can be found in the standard include path.
> How can I augment the include path for other headers?
>
> I am calling "PKG_CHECK_MODULES(MODULES, pango glib-2.0)" to set
> MODULES_CFLAGS, but don't know how to append this info to the include
> path used by autoconf.

Assuming you're using automake, you'll have something like this in your
Makefile.am:

  AM_CFLAGS = @MODULES_CFLAGS@

... since MODULES is what you called it when you invoked PKG_CHECK_MODULES.
You can call it anything you like. See pkg-config's man page for more
information.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <address@hidden>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <address@hidden>