[Fwd: Re: pkg-config and autoconf]

From: Larry Siden
Subject: [Fwd: Re: pkg-config and autoconf]
Date: 11 Aug 2003 18:12:42 -0400

I forgot to send this message to the whole group last time.  Please read
and see if you can help me.  Thanks.  -ls
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: pkg-config and autoconf Date: 09 Aug 2003 06:03:21 -0400
Now I don't know how to get the resulint x_CFLAGS variable into the
Makefile.  I tried assigning "address@hidden@" in Makefile.am, but
no soap.  In fact, until someone told me to use pkg-config, the only way
I knew to get the build to find non-standard header files was to add
them to the ./configure command line: './configure CPPFLAGS="-I..."'.

I guess the bottom line is that I don't know the proper way to set or
add to CPPFLAGS without using the './configure' command line.  I tried
reading the docs, but seem to be missing something.

-Larry

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 05:29, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 11:01, Larry Siden wrote:
> > The man page for pkg-config says:
> > AUTOCONF MACROS
> >
> > PKG_CHECK_MODULES(VARIABLEBASE,MODULELIST[,ACTION-IF-FOUND,[ACTION-IF-NOT-FOUND]])
>
> > However, autoconf 2.57 doesn't seem to recognize the PKG_CHECK_MODULES
> > macro.
>
> You must have pkg-config's pkg.m4 installed in a directory aclocal will
> pick it up and run aclocal before running autoconf to get this working.
>
> >   In addition, the conventional name "configure.in" has been replaced
> > by "configure.ac", suggesting that this document may be refering to an
> > earlier version of autoconf.  If so, can someone tell me how I can use
> > pkg-config with the latest version of autoconf?
> >
> > How can this be accomplished?
> Exactly as pkg-config's man page says - It works with 2.57.
>
> Ralf

--- End Message ---