Re: Get rid of `-g' in CXXFLAGS

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Get rid of `-g' in CXXFLAGS
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 00:09:07 -0600

Frank A. Uepping wrote:
> I want CXXFLAGS without the -g flag BY DEFAULT!
> Because the normal user doesn't want a bloat bin with debug information.

Could you be specific about your concerns?  There should be no bloat
when compiled with -g.  That just enables debug symbols to be present
in the development executable.  People expect that and I for one would
be annoyed if I needed to do something special to build that way.

But you should not be installing the executables without stripping
them.  A target in automake is provided for that purpose.  Although
personally I think you really only want to install packaged software
and in the packaging process you would strip there.  But if you want
to use automake to manage your software it won't bother me.

  make install-strip

Bob