OT: multiplatform build system for embedded sw

From: Fery
Subject: OT: multiplatform build system for embedded sw
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:56:05 +0200

Hello,

We are developing an embedded software, which have to built on a
specific system (this will be the embedded port), and on windows for the
fast and efficient development/debug, and also there will be a demo mode
of the sw for windows. For the embedded build it will be compiled with
(cross-compiler) gcc, for windows right now it compiles with C++Builder.
I.e., it is not a task which autoconf is good for.

I am starting to create the build environment for the project, and I
wonder what solution should I choose. My first (rather naive) idea was
to simply write the makefile(s), and use 'make embedded', 'make win'
commands, but I think it would be more clear to use (at least) two
makefiles, one for both platforms, and include the common pieces of the
makefiles.

As there was many smart ideas on this list about building environments
in general, I dared to ask you about your opinions and other possible
solutions. I would be also happy if you would redirect to a more
adequate forum about this topic...

Thanks:
Circum