vpath builds & emacs "next-error"

From: Steve M. Robbins
Subject: vpath builds & emacs "next-error"
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 10:09:01 -0400

Hello,

I often use autoconf's nice VPATH build feature when installing
3rd party software.

When developing my own, however, I find that doing so confuses xemacs.
I normally build using emacs' "compile" function, and use "next-error"
to step through and fix things up.  When building with builddir !=
srcdir, xemacs can no longer find the source file when I press
"next-error".  It starts asking me for a directory in which to look.

Is there a fix for this?

-S