Re: Why can't macros be added to autoconf so aclocal **unnecessary**?

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: Why can't macros be added to autoconf so aclocal **unnecessary**?
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:56:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

>  Thomas> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Guido Draheim wrote:
>  >> learn about autoreconf et al, and also learn about the
>  >> history by which autoconf and automake are independent
>  >> and they are not necessarily released in sync.
>
>  Thomas> you probably meant to say "interdependent",
>
> IMHO it's neither independent nor interdependent.  From the
> user's perspective it's a one-way dependency: Automake requires
> Autoconf and could not work without, but Autoconf can be used
> without Automake (fortunately).  I know you know this, so I'm
> probably missing your point.
>
>  Thomas> but the relationship as it has evolved is definitely
>  Thomas> not a synonym for symbiosis.
>
> Why do you think so?

It's obvious (should I have to explain in detail?)

automake has persistently implemented features which should have been done
in autoconf; retrofitting things to make them work has tied the two,
making it unlikely that said maintainers will produce a version of either
that doesn't rely on details of a particular version of the other.

junk.

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net