Re: AC_GNU_SOURCE and cross compiling

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: AC_GNU_SOURCE and cross compiling
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:01:05 +0200

"Tobias C. Rittweiler" <address@hidden> writes:

|> === April 17, 11:32:09 PM, Me to Paolo:
|> > Well, I thought of that myself, but I'd except an answer like: 'This
|> > isn't a bug, the programm foobar must work around it'.
|> >
|> > Hmm, documentation says:
|> > Macro: AC_GNU_SOURCE
|> >     If using the GNU C library, define _GNU_SOURCE. Allows the use of
|> >     some GNU functions. Should be called before any macros that run the
|> >     C compiler.
|> >
|> > The problem that it let's the question open whether 'using the GNU C
|> > library' depends on the host or on the target machine. It apparantly
|> > does on the host.

There is no target machine to consider here.  If you talk about a target
machine then you are compiling a compiler that can generate code for a
different machine than the host.  When compiling _with_ a cross-compiler
then you have the build and the host machine, but all autoconf checks
still apply to the host.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, address@hidden
SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg