Re: zsh.diff

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: zsh.diff
Date: 07 Apr 2003 16:42:18 -0700

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> > Can anyone actually find a real live shell where this patch does not
> > work?
>
> Maybe the autoconf experts (Cc'ed) can remember the circumstances of
> the remarks in the manual.

Sorry, I don't remember the exact culprits, but they did exist, though
I haven't run into one for many years.

<http://unix.org/whitepapers/shdiffs.html> says:

     Some [older] systems have allowed the end of the word to
     terminate the backquoted command substitution, such as in:

       "`echo hello"

     This usage is undefined; the matching backquote is required

This exactly corresponds to the behavior described in the Autoconf manual.