Re: Default for libexecdir

From: John Burger
Subject: Re: Default for libexecdir
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 20:13:08 -0500

I believe you want to do this:

   libexecdir='${prefix}/lib'

which will carry over unexpanded to your Makefiles, where prefix is
given a proper value.

That would break the configure --libexecdir option, though.

I finally get it. I think you're right, you cannot change the default values of the "standard" variables. In some ways, Autoconf assumes that one is building a standard Gnu package, with all that entails about directory stricture and names. There is some flexibility in this area, but not as much as one might like.

I think the only thing you could do is "edit" the value after AC_INIT happens, taking some care to check that the user didn't explicitly set it on the command line - I'm not sure how to do this without using internal details of the generated configure script ...

- John Burger
  MITRE