Re: AC_DEFINE

From: John Burger
Subject: Re: AC_DEFINE
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:31:28 -0500

From: Bob Lockie <address@hidden>

I execute the following in configure.in:
AC_DEFINE( [ENABLE_XMMS], [1] )

yet this #ifdef in the source code doesn't work:
#ifdef ENABLE_XMMS

You don't say how you expect this to happen. Your question gives the impression that you think the AC_DEFINE in configure.ac and the #ifdef in the source file are sufficient, but this is not the case. (You didn't say if you're using Automake - if so, then the two things you mention may indeed be enough. Someone who uses Automake will have to comment.)

I can think of a number of ways to make this happen, including but not limited to:

  Having configure generate the source file itself

  Generating a header file that defines ENABLE_XMMS,
  which the source file includes

  Generating a Makefile (or makefile fragment) that directly or
  indirectly compiles the source file with -DENABLE_XMMS in the
  compiler flags, e.g., using @DEFS@

Which, if any, of these routes are you taking?

- John Burger
  MITRE