Re: Portability of preprocessor directives

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: Portability of preprocessor directives
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:58:59 -0500

Paul Eggert wrote:
Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> writes:

HPUX 9.x's C compiler trashed files starting with an #elif
(that's in the early 90's - within the scope of his request).

Thanks for mentioning that; I hadn't heard that one.  I found a
7-year-old bug report for CVS that mentions the same issue, for HP-UX
9.01, in <http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/383/1996/5/0/2114760/>.

If the OS isn't supported by the vendor is it really necessary for new releases of the tool to support such a beast. If a hobbyist is in need of an older release, so be it, let the hobbyinsts help each other. Otherwise, there is this term known as ``porting'' that comes to mind.

If you make it known that you need testing for a new release and testing doesn't happen for the hobbyist, then whose problem is it, yours, I think not. Let the hobbyist test when testing is needed or else remove support for the untested in the next release from the current.

Earnie.