Re: backward compatability of tools

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: backward compatability of tools
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:30:21 -0500

[removing the automake list from the CC's]

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 09:16:54AM -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Personally I'm becoming more inclined to start using shell functions.
> Perhaps in Autoconf 3.

The test suite checks whether they're supported.  What has the
feedback been like so far?

That test first appeared in 2.55, in mid-November, 2002 (not
counting betas).  How long would it be appropriate to keep
waiting for complaints?  Three months doesn't feel like enough to
me, but three years would seem to be too long :-)  What do people
feel would be a happy medium?

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
A distributed system is one on which I cannot get any work done,
because a machine I have never heard of has crashed.
        - Leslie Lamport