Re: AC_CHECK_LIB(m, main, LIBM="-lm") broken with C++

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK_LIB(m, main, LIBM="-lm") broken with C++
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:13:05 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> The solution seems to be to either fix autoconf so that it emmits a
> different test program for the special case where 'main' is tested for
> (which is in fact a valid test!), or to fix libtool.m4 so that it
> requests a known symbol from the library being tested.

I should mention that libtool is clearly in the wrong with requesting
a test for "main" in the library since it is depending on a
side-effect and the technique is the result of sloth.  Autoconf is
also in the wrong since it didn't generate code which actually tests
for main in the library.  There are indeed libraries which may contain
a main routine (e.g. the Perl library) so it is valid to test for
'main' in a library.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden