Re: Fortran 9x: time for a decision

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: Fortran 9x: time for a decision
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 14:15:17 -0500

Paul Eggert wrote:
I agree with others that FXX is a bad name for "the latest Fortran
compiler".  But I'm puzzled: instead of inventing a new name, why not
use GNU make's names?  Namely, "FC" for the Fortran compiler, and
"FFLAGS" for the flags to give it.  The Autoconf macro to set FC can
be called AC_PROG_FC.

I don't have any particular attachment to FXX. However, I agree with John Eaton that FFLAGS is best left as the flags for F77 for backwards compatibility reasons.

I have no problem with FCFLAGS etcetera, it just seemed to break the pattern with CCFLAGS/CFLAGS. If it's decreed GNU-lly correct, so be it. =)

Eric Siegerman wrote:
> That "YY < some_magic_value interpreted as 20YY" was an
> acceptable kludge for Y2K-proofing legacy systems.  But what
> reason is there for incorporating two-digit dates into new
> designs, now that we've seen the grief that can cause?

Because Fortran 77, Fortran 90, and Fortran 95 (not to mention Fortran 66) *are* pre-Y2K legacy names. This is the standard terminology everyone uses, so I think it makes sense to support it.

Perhaps you'll be happier if it's not presented as an arbitrary year (which is not needed), but rather as a canonical version string: AC_PROG_FC([VERS], [SEARCH-LIST]), where VERS is simply one of some set of known version strings (Fortran [19]77, Fortran [19]90, etcetera, and perhaps [19]77, [19]90, [19]95, 2000, etc. for short).

Steven