configuring sub directories optional

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: configuring sub directories optional
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:12:12 -0500

hi there,

I'd like to use AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS to configure
a set of sub-packages, but I'm missing some functionality:

I'd like to control what to do if configuration fails.
Some sub-packages are mandatory, so if AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS
fails, the parent configure should report an error and bail out.
Some, however, are optional, so I'd just like to skip them,
i.e. not creating the build tree for these sub-packages
at all.

Is that already possible ? Else, what are the chances to
see such a feature soon ?

Thanks,
                Stefan