config.sub/guess and --host/--build

From: Ross Burton
Subject: config.sub/guess and --host/--build
Date: 11 Oct 2002 13:52:18 +0100

Hi,

I am creating packages for Debian. The current practise at the moment if
a package uses autoconf is to replace the config.sub and config.guess
files in upstream with the latest version (which is available through
the autotools-dev package) before building.  Also, all Debian systems
(running on 11 architectures) know what they are, so most packages also
call configure with --host and --build arguments.

So, does using --host and --build mean that config.sub and config.guess
will never be used? From a brief look at configure this appears to be
the case, but is it a behaviour I can depend on to remain true in the
future?  Being able to ditch the config.sub and config.guess update mess
would make things a lot easier...

Regards,
Ross
--