Objections? Re: Checking for CXX libraries -- AC_CXX_CHECK_LIB ?

From: Allan Clark (reply to list only)
Subject: Objections? Re: Checking for CXX libraries -- AC_CXX_CHECK_LIB ?
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:05:35 -0400

I'm looking here for objections from the AutoConf list.

I could probably have a version tonight or tomorrow that ignores the
copied LANG(C)->LANG(C+) stuff and looks something like this:

AC_CXX_CHECK_LIB(library, function, params, [action-if-found],
[action-if-not-found], [other-libraries])

... really adding "params" in there before the optionals.  I could get
this together, test it myself, and have Sebastian Huber, jlm, and Ossama
Othman (recent requestors) test it out to see if it works for them.
Forgive me if I commit syntactical errors; I'm chronically looking
things up.

The function above would generate a call something like:

AC_CXX_CHECK_LIB(<lib>, pipes::pipeCheck, [(char *) "test", (int) 42])

... generating:

        (void) pipes::pipeCheck ((char *) "test", (int) 42)

it would have to match against something like (ignoring return type):

namespace pipes {

        int pipeCheck (char *var1, int var2);

};

...but then do we need to check for objects, too?  I would consider that
on a second-effort (you know, the infamous second-effort: all-singing,
all-dancing, bloated excessive creeping feature of code... eek!).

We could work this into a generic sense once it's functional.

Allan