Re: defined(IRIX)

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: defined(IRIX)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 13:09:57 +0200 (CEST)

Thomas Dickey writes:

> There is form, but no content.  This can be done using AC_TRY_RUN (or other
> runtime check), is otherwise no better than a random guess.  Alignment
> problems
> don't show up in compiling, but at runtime.

I'm afraid they do.  The check answers the question "If I put this type
into a struct, where will the compiler align it?", which is ultimately
what our code is interested in, and it also happens to correspond to GCC's
__alignof__ operator, hence the name.

If you want to answer a question of the form "If I put this type at this
address, will my program crash?", you can write a different test, but it
would be a lot more cumbersome and won't get you substantially better
results.

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden