Re: set owner/group on FreeBSD

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: set owner/group on FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:02:06 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Eric Siegerman <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:50:29 -0400
>
> I wonder what POSIX has to say about this?

POSIX says that FreeBSD "mv" conforms, and that Solaris "/bin/mv" and
GNU "mv" do not conform.  You can see the sad news in step 5 of:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/utilities/mv.html

which says:

  If the duplication of the file characteristics fails for any reason,
  mv shall write a diagnostic message to standard error, but this
  failure shall not cause mv to modify its exit status.

Solaris 9 "/usr/xpg4/bin/mv" does conform (it prints a warning), so
Solaris is off the hook.

Guess I'll need to file a bug report for GNU "mv".  Sigh.