Re: Autoconf 2.54 is released

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Autoconf 2.54 is released
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 15:09:06 +0200

Es schrieb Akim Demaille:

>    - Why should I upgrade from 2.13?
>
> This version is no longer maintained.  It does not address recent
> architectures, recent compilers etc.  We know that upgrading from 2.13
> to 2.5x is not an easy task, especially because the Autoconf 2.13 was
> extremely tolerant to incorrect macro invocations, but waiting longer
> endangers the portability of your package and only delays the
> conversation to newer Autoconf versions.  Worse: some maintainers now
> spend a significant amount of time fixing bugs in 2.13 or backporting
> macros from 2.53.

The in/out is strongly correlated with the higher inner complexity
of 2.5x - and there is no "low-profile" for people still sitting
on bulks of C software which just want to get away with an updated
C compiler. (It is more severed where autoconf'ing was meshed with
a build system other than automake.) It might be that it is in the
complexity that people let the autoconf/automake pro's hack on the
current generation of autoconf/automake themselves, not being of much
help with finding bugs in the heap. Just a thought, ye know...