config.log / Re: newbie: checking for C compiler default output...

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: config.log / Re: newbie: checking for C compiler default output...
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 00:41:51 +0200

Es schrieb Peter Eisentraut:

> Guido Draheim writes:
>
> > tail config.log
>
> Which reminds me, it would be nice if this actually worked.
>
> Currently, tail config.log gives you confdefs.h, before that are the cache
> variables.  Would it be reasonable to put the tests at the very end?

Nope. Too complicated for little advantage. And it does not address the
real problem: newbies do not know about config.log. It'd be better to
tell the user to turn to config.log for details when there's a problem.
(and that's actually what the above grumble-message says), so it might
be more reasonable to modify the fail-routine to something the look of:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot
create executables
check config.log for details