Porting to Sparc64 question

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Porting to Sparc64 question
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 14:39:02 -0700

I hope someone can help, as I'm feeling a bit clueless... ;)

We have some code that allocates pointers from a pool of memory.  The
original code makes sure that the address of the allocated pointer is
aligned on sizeof(void *) boundaries.

But that fails on the sparc64 as it needs 8-byte boundaries, but
sizeof(void *) is four.  Hence SIGBUS errors.

Is there anything in autoconf that will help determine this required
alignment size?  Or is it something where I need to spell out the platforms
as in:

  #if defined(__sparc__)
  #define PointerAlignmentSize 8

Thanks,