problems understanding how get configure to find libraries and headers.

From: T.L.Bowers
Subject: problems understanding how get configure to find libraries and headers.
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:13:15 -0400

Hello,
I'm novice user of configure scripts.  I'm trying to compile imlib but
my jpeg,giff, png etc are not in standard places.  I am unable
to figure out how to tell the configure script where to look for
libraries and headers.

Can someone help me.  I've check ./configure --help  for possible
ways but its not working.

my libraries are in /export/tbowers/lib and headers are in /export/tbowers/include.

How would I format this so that configure check those locations.

Any Help would be appreciated.
-tb