Re: converting netkit to autoconf?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: converting netkit to autoconf?
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:41:50 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "David A. Holland" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 01:28:51 +0100 (BST)
>
> (1) it's a canonical example of the principle that software is almost
> inevitably written using tools that are just not quite adequate for
> the job. autoconf is written in m4. This is a big liability.

You say poTAYto, I say poTAHto.

> (2) autoconf is, or was (but last I looked it hadn't changed)
> completely undocumented. That is, there's a lot of random
> documentation, but the important part (documentation of the test
> library) was completely missing.

Not sure what you're referring to here.  The latest Autoconf has
documentation for the autotest stuff, if that's what you're talking about.

> When configure scripts screw up, which is more common than you
> probably realize, the user ought to be able to edit the results by
> hand *in one place*.

It's in config.status.  Admittedly it could be easier to read (perhaps
we could put that in our TODO list), but it's all on one place.  Edit
config.status and then run it.