Re: Interix identification.

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Interix identification.
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:52:10 -0400

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 10:22:52AM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > From: Dan Kegel <address@hidden>
> > Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:07:32 -0700
> >
> > On Linux, it might be more standards-friendly to do
> > #define _XOPEN_SOURCE 600
> > instead of _GNU_SOURCE.  If we're trying to provide an illusion of
> > uniform behavior, we should avoid enabling GNU extensions, no?
> First, a common case in Autoconf is to use all available extensions.

bad idea (but the notion that the developer should be choosing features
seems to have been discarded)

> Second, we already tried defining _XOPEN_SOURCE a while ago, and it
> didn't work well, precisely because it disabled desirable extensions:

that's certainly an understatement (the ifdef's in glibc probably have been
reasonably well-tested only for the combination that corresponds to
_GNU_SOURCE - after seeing a number of obvious errors, I decided that it
must be intentional).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net