Autom4te cache name depends on executable's name

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Autom4te cache name depends on executable's name
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 00:28:28 +0200 (CEST)

The name of the cache directory autom4te.cache (usually) is computed from
the name of the executable autom4te (usually).  I'm not sure if this is a
good idea.  Many sites create versioned installations of the autoconf
executables, like autom4te-2.53, so the cleaning rules that remove this
cache have to be updated with every autoconf release (which is going to be
difficult for automake).  The GCS ask that the behavior of a program does
not depend on its name, and additionally the documentation claims that the
name will be "autom4te.cache" without qualification.  I suggest that the
name be fixed as "autom4te.cache" and possibly that a command-line option
to change the name be added.

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden