Re: macros for rpath support

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: macros for rpath support
Date: 27 May 2002 16:01:09 +0200

Bruno> Akim Demaille writes:

>> This is a very welcome addition to Autoconf.

Bruno> Nice to hear :-)

Everybody I know who looked at your work was positively impressed.

I still have one question though: how would you rate the impedance
there is between this macro and config.rpath ot1h side and Libtool
otoh?  I especially interested in knowing whether what learns one of
the community should be reported to the other.

Bruno> So please choose some arbitrary name for the macro
Bruno> (ex-AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS), and I'll use the same one in gettext.

OK.  I have no problem with this name.

>> I just worried about seeing the Autoconf implementation being
>> always hidden behind the one provided in aclocal.m4.

Bruno> gettextize will be changed to not include its own version of
Bruno> the macros if it finds AC_PREREQ(2.54) in the configure.in/ac.

Ah!  That's good to hear, thanks.  ANd BTW, I now realize I forgot to
report a suggestion I wanted to make for 0.11.3: given that gettextize
installs these files locally, do you really want to let them be
visible to aclocal?

>> I also fear that we might bring in some extension to the Autoconf
>> version, which will not work if the implementation is Gettext's.

Bruno> That would be bad. Please tell me about the extension in such
Bruno> cases, so that I can copy it into gettext/m4.

Sure!  But again, I was worried of the case of someone using an
obsolete version of Gettext.  But since Gettext's macros would not be
installed if >= 2.54, my point does not hold.  Thanks Bruno!