Re: Site Macro Directory

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Site Macro Directory
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 18:12:39 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 16:37:49 -0700
> From: Bruce Korb <address@hidden>

> Am I alone in thinking that there are serious design issues
> that would be good to resolve before messing with all these
> implementation methods?

No, I share these concerns.  However, I don't know of anyone who has
the time to solve those serious design issues and propagate the
solution nicely to existing Autoconf and Automake users.

Over the years several people have tried revolutionary solutions to
the problem, some with nice properties, but none of the solutions have
really caught on.  Most recently, I had some hopes for SapCat

<http://sc-archive.codesourcery.com/entries/second-round/config/SapCat/>

as it had a nice design and analysis document.  But I haven't heard
much about it lately.