Creting extra executables.

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Creting extra executables.
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:21:56 +0100

I've an application that has a directory structure like this.

./src
./src/non_gui
./src/gui

In the non_gui directory there are about 6 binaries, which will build easily one
any system. In the gui directory, there is currently one (probably more later)
binaries that require all sorts of libraries to be installed.

I want the configure script to accept

configure --with-gui

before it will build the bits in gui.

How is the *best* way to go about this. I have failed miserably. The main
problem seems to be that src/Makefile.am either has to have

# This is src/Makefile.am, which is proceed by automake
SUBDIRS = non_gui  gui
EXTRA_DIST = README tests

in which case a makefile src/gui/Makefile is expected to be made. I've
configured the configure.in so the makefile does not get made by ending it with

if test "x$with_gui" = "xyes"; then
AC_OUTPUT([ Makefile src/Makefile src/gui/Makefile src/ non_gui/Makeile])
else
AC_OUTPUT([ Makefile src/Makefile src/ non_gui/Makeile])

Rather than ask how to tweak my method so it does work, can anyone tell me the
best way to implement a system so that make will only try to build files in one
particular directory if a certain option is given to configure.

--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD,
email: address@hidden