Recent config.guess versions fail to recognize i?86-pc-linux-gnu

From: Phil Stracchino
Subject: Recent config.guess versions fail to recognize i?86-pc-linux-gnu
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 12:24:44 -0700

I've been wondering for some time why it is that recent software packages
are unable to identify the system type on my otherwise unexceptional
i586-pc-linux-gnu machine.  I just poked into config.guess and found the
problem.

config.guess determines system type by examining the 'supported
emulations' line of the output of ld --help.  On a system using gcc-3.0.4
and binutils-2.11.2, this string is as follows:

ld: supported emulations: elf_i386 i386linux

However, config.guess currently appears to lack any option to match this.

The attached patch fixes this problem by adding a single line to recognize
elf_i?86.

--
  *********  Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk.  *********
  phil stracchino   ::   address@hidden   ::   address@hidden