Re: Bad configure scripts generated with Autoconf 2.52 and 2.53

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: Bad configure scripts generated with Autoconf 2.52 and 2.53
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:47:52 -0800

In article <address@hidden>,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 08:58:13AM -0400, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
>> it's just that you cannot count on that happening without some effort.
>
>I know few programming languages which accept programs ``without some
>effort.''

True.

But autoconf has become as bad as the languages it's trying to help
support.  If one wants to write autoconf input that works with both older
and newer versions, it requires quite a bit of #ifdef/#else/#endif style
hacking.

Almost easier to step back away from autoconf and write a meta program that
will generate configure.in for you.

mrc

--
     Mike Castle      address@hidden      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/