Re: Severe performance problem and proposed solution

From: Phil Edwards
Subject: Re: Severe performance problem and proposed solution
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:10:36 -0500

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 03:28:29AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Am Mon, 2002-03-11 um 00.12 schrieb Phil Edwards:
> > AC_PROG_CC tries to do something in
> > the "checking for C compiler default output" section which fails (cannot
> > create executables) when cross-compiling.  If I edit the configure script
> > to ignore the error, I get two steps further:
> >
> >     checking for C compiler default output...
> >     checking whether the C compiler works... yes
> >     checking whether we are cross compiling... yes
> >     checking for executable suffix... configure: error: cannot compute
> > EXEEXT: cannot compile and link
[...]
> If building inside of the gcc-source-tree, there are various things
> which can go wrong. E.g. this check might be run at a time when the
> c-toolchain is incomplete and not yet usable.

This looks like the problem, or at least one of the problems.  See below.

> It could also be the side-effect of something else, e.g. the toplevel
> configure script setting the canonicalization names to something which
> is incompatible to autoconf-2.52 (--host etc.), rsp. the toolchain might
> also be broken itself (several gnu-cross-toolchains are in pretty bad
> shape.)

Ugh.

> Could you please check the part of the config.log corresponding to the
> failing AC_PROG_CC for the actual reason of the breakdown you are
> observing?

configure:1864: checking for C compiler default output
configure:1867: /home/pme/build/B/gcc/xgcc -B/home/pme/build/B/gcc/ -nostdinc
-B/home/pme/build/B/powerpc-eabisim/newlib/ -isystem
/home/pme/build/B/powerpc-eabisim/newlib/targ-include -isystem
/home/pme/src/unified/newlib/libc/include
-B/home/pme/build/install-2002-03-11-ppc/powerpc-eabisim/bin/
-B/home/pme/build/install-2002-03-11-ppc/powerpc-eabisim/lib/ -isystem
/home/pme/build/install-2002-03-11-ppc/powerpc-eabisim/include
-L/home/pme/build/B/ld -g -O2   conftest.c  >&5
/home/pme/build/B/gcc/collect-ld: cannot open sim-crt0.o: No such file or
directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:1870: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 1848 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

int
main ()
{

  ;
  return 0;
}
configure:1893: error: C compiler cannot create executables

The sim-crt0.o file is in powerpc-eabisim/libgloss/rs6000/ but that directory
isn't being searched.  I'm scared to even ask what needs to be changed to
make that work.

> > I'll wait for 2.53 before trying again.
> AFAIK, not much has changed wrt. cross-compilation with 2.53.
> (You don't seem to be aware that it already has been released.).

I wasn't aware.  Okay then, I'll just work with 2.52.

Phil