Re: Missing test for optional libraries?

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: Missing test for optional libraries?
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:11:40 -0600

Hi,

Dan Kegel <address@hidden> writes:

>> > AC_CHECK_FT2 is not part of Autoconf, so possibly this is a problem
>> > with your definition of this macro, not with Autoconf itself.
>>
>> I know it isn't, the problem is when freetype isn't installed, I still need
>> to be able to run the configure script.
>
> You should be able to run it just fine.  AC_CHECK_FT2 should
> be expanded when you run 'autoconf'.  It's only at autoconf
> time that AC_CHECK_FT2's definition needs to be around,
> and your users should never need to run autoconf.
>
> Or so it seems to me.  I'm kind of new at this.

Yes.  However, it appears Lars may be building code out of CVS, and
the 'configure' script may not have been checked in.

In this case, he can't help it, he has to install at least that part
of the freetype2 package that 'aclocal' would pick up,i.e. freetype2.m4.
I guess he can lobby the dia(?) package maintainer to add freetype2.m4
to a package local m4macros/ directory.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden