Re: AC_INIT translates PACKAGE to lower case

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: AC_INIT translates PACKAGE to lower case
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 08:34:56 -0500

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> BTW, I would appreciate the other autoconf and automake maintainers to
> speak up, because apparently a reasonable discussion between Akim and me
> doesn't seem to be possible anymore.

First let me say that IANAAM (I Am Not An Autoconf Maintainer) but I'm
going to give my opinion anyway.

I agree with your intent Ralf.  But let's stand back and look at what we
have.

1) Autoconf is a tool for configuration purposes to help decide what
features an environment has or doesn't have and supply values for
substitution from the Makefile.in files and create Makefile files.

2) Automake is a tool for configuration purposes to help create the
Makefile.in(s) that autoconf uses to create the Makefile(s).

3) Automake is wholly dependent on autoconf and must live within the
bounds with which autoconf places on it.

4) Given rule 3, autoconf is in it's rights to implement new features
that might break backward compatibility with automake.

5) Give rule 4, it is therefore automake not autoconf that needs to
provide for the distribution package name since it is automake that
creates the Makefile.in.

Conclusion, Akim is very patronizing in offering the fourth optional
parameter in AC_INIT.

Earnie.