Re: Autoconf 2.52g is released

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: Autoconf 2.52g is released
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:28:36 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Do you have references for this?  This is typical information that
> > must be double checked and included in autoconf.texi once certified.
>
> That's the way that cp -p pretty much always works, if the -p flag is
> supported.  See, for example, the GNU fileutils documentation:

not always (I'm pretty sure that very-old implementations of -p did not
copy _all_ of the attributes, since I had work-arounds in some code for
that).

> Of course, when copying files on a UFS file system as a non-root user,
> most current Unixes won't allow file giveaway and therefore at most the
> group will be affected.  However, one doesn't have to be root to be able
> to chown files under some circumstances; for example, when copying files
> in AFS, one can chown them to arbitrary users if one is a member of the
> system:administrators PTS group.

and some systems (Apollo Domain) had a weak sense of ownership, so it
was possible to do this with local administrator's privileges.

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net