cvs autoconf generates broken configure script

From: Jens Petersen
Subject: cvs autoconf generates broken configure script
Date: 19 Dec 2001 17:52:53 +0900

The current development version of autoconf seems create
broken configure scripts in certain cases.  Below is an
example of how to reproduce the problem.  I haven't managed
to debug the problem yet -- I am no m4 or autom4te wizard...

Is this a known problem?

Jens

% cat configure.ac
AC_INIT
AC_PROG_CC

AC_CHECK_LIB(z, gzsetparams,
  AC_CHECK_HEADER(zlib.h,,
    AC_MSG_ERROR(zlib headers not found)),
  AC_MSG_ERROR(zlib library not found))

AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)
% touch Makefile.am
% autoreconf
autoconf: warning: -A is obsolete, use --include
autoconf: warning: -l is obsolete, use --include
autoconf: warning: -A is obsolete, use --include
autoconf: warning: -l is obsolete, use --include
% ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for executable suffix...
checking for object suffix... o
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gzsetparams in -lz... yes
./configure: line 1878: syntax error near unexpected token `done'
./configure: line 1878: `done'

If one includes "AC_PROG_CPP" as well, it terminates instead
with:

checking for gzsetparams in -lz... yes
./configure: line 2664: syntax error near unexpected token `yes:no'
./configure: line 2664: `  yes:no'