Re: Combining Multiple Packages Together

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: Combining Multiple Packages Together
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 10:23:05 +0100

> I'm trying to build a new package by combining multiple packages
> together.  Each of the existing packages have their own config.h
> files.  I'd like to arrange things so that all packages included in
> the new package use the same config.h when used together. Each package
> should use to their own config.h file when used separately.
>
> I've added the following statements into each package's configure.in.
>
> AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(config)
> AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config/config.h:config/config-h.in)
>
> This works fine for if I want to use a different config.h for each
> package.  I've had no luck in getting all the packages to refer to a
> single config directory by trying to specify relative paths using
> $(top_srcdir) (among others).
>
> How is this normally done?

I don't think this is done often.  Basically, autoheader builds
config.h.in based on a single configure.ac.  In order to share a
config.h
among packages, you'd need a config.h.in as well.  While you can
probably
create this from the separate config.h.ins, but why would you want to?
There's really no good way to do this, short of creating a single,
top-level configure.ac, and using autoheader on that.  Since that
configure.ac would not instantiate the separate config.hs (as you would
NOT have this configure.ac recurse down), only one config.h will be
created, which will then be used by the packages.
Of course, this still means double maintenance, as any change to one of
the subpackages' configure.acs will require updating the combined
configure.ac accordingly.