Re: c99

From: vishnu
Subject: Re: c99
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 11:41:38 -0700

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 11:24:57AM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > From: address@hidden
> > Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:22:31 -0700
> >
> > AC_MSG_CHECKING([whether $CC accepts C99 declarations])
> > AC_TRY_COMPILE([],[
> >   int x=0; x+=1; int y=0;
> >   for (int z=0; z < 2; z++);
> > ],[
> >   AC_MSG_RESULT(yes)
> > ],
> > [
> >   AC_MSG_ERROR([
> > *** This package requires a C99 compiler.])
> > ])
>
> OK, but why bother with that?  Just run 'make'.  If it fails, your
> compiler doesn't support C99 declarations.  I see little need to
> discover that at 'configure'-time.

At least i can guess the "-std=gnu99" option if CC=gnu .. ?

> Now, if your goal was to find a C compiler tht supported C99
> declarations, that would be another story.

Yah, that's my goal.

> Or if your goal was to define a macro that is nonzero if C99
> declarations are supported, Autoconf could do that too.  But I don't
> think a macro like that would be all that useful in practice: it'd
> just make the code uglier.

No, that's silly.  i'm not going to litter my code with #ifdefs
for old compilers.  More realistically, i just want configure to
suggest upgrading gcc if the installed gcc doesn't support C99.
Something like that.

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!
  http://sahajayoga.org