Re: mawk gawk nawk awk

From: John Poltorak
Subject: Re: mawk gawk nawk awk
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:52:43 +0100

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 03:52:38PM +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:

> John> I have just re-installed Autoconf v2.50 without GAWK on the PATH
> John> and no AWK variable set. When attempting to build SED, autoconf
> John> complains with:-
>
> Why do you need Autoconf to build Sed?

I'm attempting to build Sed on OS/2. The supplied configure script is not
suitable, so I need to create one which is OS/2 friendly.

> John> autoconf.[753]: gawk: not found
>
> sh -x autoconf
>
> John> I'm not not hot when it comes to shell scripts, but this where
> John> AWK seems to be evaluated:-
>

> John> # Variables.  :
> John> ${autoconf_dir=${AC_MACRODIR=u:/usr/local/share/autoconf}} test
> John> -z "$AC_ACLOCALDIR" && AC_ACLOCALDIR=`(aclocal --print-ac-dir)
> John> 2>/dev/null` : ${AWK=gawk} debug=false
>
> Well, when Autoconf was installed, gawk was visible in the PATH, and
> your path no longer sees it.  I guess.

Ah.. I see. I thought gawk must have been hard coded in the distribution,
rather than something derived during installation. I'll re-install after
removing all traces of gawk and see if this changes.

Many thanks.

--
John