Re: Emacs modes

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: Emacs modes
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 18:42:26 +0200

> Here is what I hard coded in add-log.el:
>
>                 ((eq major-mode 'autoconf-mode)
>                  (if (re-search-backward
> "^\\(m4_define\\|m4_defun\\|A._DEFUN\\)
> (\\[*\\([A-Za-z0-9_]+\\)" nil t)
>                      (buffer-substring (match-beginning 2)
>                                        (match-end 2))))
>                 ((eq major-mode 'autotest-mode)
>                  (if (re-search-backward
> "^\\(m4_define\\|m4_defun\\|AT_SETUP\\)
> (\\[+\\([^]]+\\)" nil t)
>                      (buffer-substring (match-beginning 2)
>                                        (match-end 2))))

This is likely possible to automate, but I'm not familiar enough with
add-log.el to help further.

> I would like X?Emacs to understand that, and also to trigger the right
> mode (e.g., *.at is Autotest, configure.in and *.ac is Autoconf)
> automatically, without the user having to edit her files.

This seems highly unlikely if the two modes stay independent from the
emacsen.  At the very least, you'll have to have some ";;;autoload"
lines
in the .el files; then the user can update the autoloads (perhaps this
can be done from automake during the install; not sure if autoloads are
enough to associate extensions though).  Basically, to support this
without
the user having to edit her .emacs, you need it to be set up from the
emacs distribution (so you'd require a future emacs), or by the sysadmin
(through site-load.el or however it's called).