Re: copyright notice on the 'INSTALL' file (proposed autoconf patch)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: copyright notice on the 'INSTALL' file (proposed autoconf patch)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:17:49 -0600 (MDT)

    It's currently 226 lines, 1366 words, and 9221 bytes.

At that size, it may as well have a simple permissive license, as you
suggested.  However, the wording should be different:

    Copying and distribution of verbatim and modified versions of this file
    is permitted in any medium provided the copyright notice and this
    permission notice are preserved.

    One possibility is to shrink `INSTALL' to be quite short, something
    like this:

      To build this package, invoke `./configure' and then `make'.
      For details, please see <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/INSTALL>.

We certainly wouldn't want to remove the information from the package
and make people depend on accessing our web server to install the
package.

    1. The permissions wording I proposed (quoted at the start of this
       message) gives unlimited permission to copy `INSTALL', but it
       grants no permission to copy the source file `install.texi' that
       `INSTALL' is generated from.

We may as well put the the same notice in install.texi as in INSTALL.
Given that the material is available under that permissive license in
INSTALL, there is no particular benefit in trying to apply the GFDL to
install.texi.

As for make-stds.texi, we probably want that to be under the GFDL
alone.