Re: (wishlist) Automated lib-config script generation

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: (wishlist) Automated lib-config script generation
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 18:26:56 +0200

> The actual advantage of your macro comes of course with config.status
> updates - I hope that I can at one day turn my macro into a form that
> adds its -config file output-generation into config.status. IIRC the
> new autoconf does support some helper routines for exactly that purpose.
> But it seems I don't have much time before mid of august to actually
> do it.

Well, in case you generate a *-config.in in your macro, you can simply
add

  AC_CONFIG_FILES(*-config)

to your macro and it will automagically create it for you.
Alternatively, you could have a

  AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS(*-config, [
<shell commands to create *-config go here>
], [
var=$var
<any vars needed in the shell code above go here>
])

in your macro, and the complete generation will be done by config.status;
this becomes less practical if many variables are needed (as all those
could have to be dumped into config.status).