Re: Autoconf 2.52 is released

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Autoconf 2.52 is released
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:44:04 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 02:10:19 +0200
> From: Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden>
>
> For me, it is subdir handling in autoconf-2.5x.

I don't use that, so I had no problem.  :-)

> A further problem is some of the new autoconf-features apparently
> being immature and autoconf-2.5x (in most cases actually m4 or sh)
> issuing cryptical error messages with encountering actual problems....
> I also have seen autoconf-2.5x silently swallow autoconf-2.13
> configure.ins without any complaint, while actually breaking them.

Have you sent in bug reports for these?  It hasn't happened to me, but
then again I'm lazy and mostly reuse other people's autoconf macros
rather than write my own from scratch.

> a not-neglectable minority break silently, which is
> rather hard to recognize at all.

Yes, these are the worst problems.  Bug reports would help here -- at
the very least, this stuff should be in the manual.