Re: [] in AC_HELP_STRING

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: [] in AC_HELP_STRING
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:33:15 +0200

Tim Van Holder wrote:

> > Ralf> Hi, A simple question:
> >
> > Ralf> How to write '[' and ']' in AC_HELP_STRING with autoconf-2.5x?
> >
> > Ralf> Background: I would like to use a help string (configure --help)
> > Ralf> similar to this:
> >
> > Ralf> --enable-some-feature=[foo|bar] explanation [default:foo]
> >
> > You just cannot do it properly currently.  This macro was an error :(
> >
> > I would just write it by hand.
Bummer! Isnt't AC_HELP_STRING new in 2.5x and part of the new
features in autoconf-2.5x?

AFAIK, it is. Therefore we should try to fix it immediately or
(emergency exit) to discourage users from using it or even to remove
it from autoconf before AC_HELP_STRING spreads further into
configure-scripts.

> You can use quadrigraphs:
>
> AC_ARG_WITH(blah, AC_HELP_STRING([--with-blah@<:@=bleh@:>@], [foobar]))
>
> Unfortunately, AC_HELP_STRING does the length check before the
> quadrigraphs get squashed, so the help text will often be moved to the
> next line when it doesn't actually have to.
> AC_HELP_STRING is actually quite nice, IMHO (and will cause user options
> to fit in nicely even if a new version of autoconf changes the --help
> layout).
I fully agree. However, I read Akim's formulation above as "one of
the new features in autoconf-2.5.x is basically flawed".