Re: Making configure.in so the good compiler is choose

From: David Burg
Subject: Re: Making configure.in so the good compiler is choose
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:05:33 +0200

Hello,

Well, two weeks ago all was fine. A simple

./configure --host=arm-linux --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu

was at last working correctly. I was really happy of the help I was just
here and that allows me to do this. Thus, I commited my configure.in and
aclocal.m4 files. Then, I made some changes on the sources and today I want
to run configure again...

bash-2.05# echo $CC

bash-2.05# echo $CXX

bash-2.05# rm config.cache

bash-2.05# ./configure --host=arm-linux --build=i686-linux-gnu

creating cache ./config.cache

checking host system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu

checking target system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu

checking for gcc... gcc

checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes

checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler... no

checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes

checking for c++... c++

checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ ) works... yes

checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ ) is a cross-compiler... no

checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes

checking whether c++ accepts -g... yes

[...]

bash-2.05# rm config.cache

bash-2.05# echo $CC

bash-2.05# echo $CXX

bash-2.05# CC=arm-linux-gcc CXX=arm-linux-c++
./configure --host=arm-linux --build=i686-linux-gnu

creating cache ./config.cache

checking host system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu

checking target system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu

checking for gcc... arm-linux-gcc

checking whether the C compiler (arm-linux-gcc ) works... yes

checking whether the C compiler (arm-linux-gcc ) is a cross-compiler... yes

checking whether arm-linux-gcc accepts -g... yes

checking how to run the C preprocessor... arm-linux-gcc -E

checking for c++... arm-linux-c++

checking whether the C++ compiler (arm-linux-c++ ) works... yes

checking whether the C++ compiler (arm-linux-c++ ) is a cross-compiler...
yes

checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes

checking whether arm-linux-c++ accepts -g... yes

[...]

As you can see, it choose the wrong compiler unless I force it. But I have
check in cvs, the configure.in is not changed at all.

Why does this computer hate me ??? I guess there is something that changes
on my linux, I know I have updated from a Suse 7.1 to a Suse 7.2 but I don't
understand what may have change... I have also re-compil and re-install the
cross-compiler and the glibc for cross-compilation but it doesn't help. I
have try to re-run autoconf, does not change anything.

Any clue ?

Best regards,

David Burg.