Re: [autoconf] AmigaOS fork()

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: [autoconf] AmigaOS fork()
Date: 31 May 2001 16:45:56 +0200

On 31 May 2001 15:15:49 +0200, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:

> > | +          if (fork() < 0)
> > | +            exit (1);
>
> > No way to actually *test* the feature?
>
> There _is_ a test. Look carefully. If fork() "always" fails,
> it is a stub. If the fork() succeeds, it is not.

Akim was talking about the 'case "$host"', I think.
The problem is that since we are testing whether a function works, we
need to _run_ that function.  When cross-compiling, this is not
possible, so checking for platforms where the function in question is
known to be broken seemed acceptable.  I suppose it would be better to
simply display a warning about how it is impossible to check for a
working fork when cross-compiling, but that doesn't make the result of
the test any better.