Re: Making configure.in so the good compiler is choose

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: Making configure.in so the good compiler is choose
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:48:23 +0200

> bash-2.04# CC=arm-linux-gcc
> ./configure --target=arm-linux --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> checking for c++... c++
>
> (No, no, no I don't want to test c++, I want to test arm-linux-gcc ! )

If you are looking for a C compiler, you use AC_PROG_CC, and
optionally override CC; if you want a C++ compiler, you use
AC_PROG_CXX (like you do) and optionally override CXX.
Note that I think that if you use --host=foo-bar-baz, recent
autoconfs will actually try foo-bar-baz-gcc before gcc, so
overriding wouldn't be needed.  Also, when cross-compiling, it's
usually a good idea to override PATH (2.50 syntax shown):

  ./configure -C PATH=/usr/<host>/bin:$PATH --host=<host>

> checking Adding -DBIGENDIAN to PORTABILITYFLAGS... no
a more canonical message would be  'whether we need -DBIGENDIAN',
as that results in a more natural sentence in configure's
output

> AC_PROG_CPP
> AC_PROG_CXX
>
> How to make it test the cross-compiler we provide and not erase
> $CC by "c++"
> ??
Either use AC_PROG_CC, or override CXX (though I think the latter
would not be needed if you were using autoconf 2.50).