configure scripts and cross-compiling

From: Mike Culbertson
Subject: configure scripts and cross-compiling
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 07:43:27 -0400 (EDT)

Could somone specify what it is generic configure script would have to
find in order to think that the compiler I am using (gcc 2.95-3 on
sun/sparc solaris 8) is a cross-compiler?  I have a fairly standard
install of everything, and I am using no proprietary tools with the
exception of a few in /usr/ccs/bin (ar, as, etc).  At thi point, nothing
wants to build properly and I am really not sure what I have changed that
has caused this (I never have actually been set up as a cross-compiler)
Thanks in advance.  Any other info provided on request.

it dies here:
bash-2.03# ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -02 -msupersparc ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -02 -msupersparc ) is a
cross-compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... configure: error: can not
run test program while cross compiling
bash-2.03#

Mike Culbertson