Re: 2.49e problems with gcc

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: 2.49e problems with gcc
Date: 16 May 2001 08:29:31 +0200

Sorry for the delay in replying; my home PC suffered a minor heat
stroke and will be out of action for a while :-)

On 12 May 2001 15:36:53 +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:

> Tim> The only call is
>
> Tim>   gcc_AC_CHECK_PROG_VER(MAKEINFO, makeinfo, --version, [GNU
> Tim> texinfo.* \([0-9][0-9.]*\)], [4.*])
>
> Hm, looks good.
>
> Tim> This would put the texinfo pattern inside the special << >>
> Tim> quotes, which might be what confused autoconf (though I'm hardly
> Tim> an expert in such things).
>
> Is it autoconf or autoheader which is lost?

For both, m4 gets the recursion header, though for autoheader, this
is buried in traces.sh.

> They don't use aclocal?

Nope.

>    ac_tr_decl=HAVE_DECL_`echo $ac_func | tr 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
> 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'`
>  changequote([, ])dnl
>
> You should also get rid of this one.

This was intended as a _minimal_ patch to allow autoheader & autoconf to
run without errors.  Besides, the changequote here does no harm, and can
even serve as a reminder should someone decide to use character classes
again.

> Nice patch, but I don't think it works.  I'd be surprised if you
> actually have the #undef templates in config.h.in since you pass an sh
> var, which is opaque to autoheader.  You need `static' values for
> autoheader.  That's why they had the last chunk.
>
> Use
>
> -if test x = y ; then
> -    AC_DEFINE(translit([HAVE_DECL_$1], [a-z], [A-Z]), 1,
> -      [Define to 1 if we found this declaration otherwise define to 0.]))dnl
> -fi

OK - will try that.